Update! Construction of the new bridge at Highway 10 and Armstrong Boulevard in Anoka is complete! This is big news for businesses, residents, and commuters traveling through this high traffic north metro area.
The long-awaited enhancements removed stoplights at the Armstrong interchange to improve traffic flow and eliminate a dangerous bottleneck that has plagued the area for many years. Additionally, the planned multi-year construction project includes on/off ramps to remove signals on Hwy. 10 and more frontage roads, flyover ramps and signaled on-ramps to keep the highway flowing smoothly while minimizing wait times on cross streets. Anoka County received federal funding for the final design and construction plan preparation in 2014. Construction start Spring 2015.
The Highway 10 corridor from Ramsey’s border with Elk River to Ferry Street in Anoka greatly improved with these changes -- good news for residents and businesses in Ramsey and Anoka.
A Boost to Economic Development
Ramsey Mayor Sarah Strommen said: “The interchange will boost economic development by making it easier for customers to reach the businesses along Armstrong and Sunwood Drive.” Ramsey commercial real estate broker, Marty Fisher of Premier Commercial Properties, says, “The improvements will attract more interest in existing retail and office space available as well as create opportunity for new developments after the highway project is completed.”
Fisher continues, “This area has historic high traffic which means high visibility that many office and retail businesses desire. Transportation issues have been considered one of the reasons for slower development in the North Metro compared to other Minnesota metro areas to the south. These road improvements will enhance traffic flow for travelers and make getting to businesses easier."
- Bridge construction at Country Road 83/Armstrong Boulevard and Highway 10 to carry traffic over the highway and adjacent railroad tracks
- Replace four signaled intersections on the nearly 4-mile stretch along Highway 10 in Anoka and Ramsey
- Frontage roads
- Flyover and signaled ramps
- Removes conflicting rail and motor vehicle movements
- Provides a multi-use trail to allow pedestrians and bicyclists to cross US 10 and the BNSF tracks
- Provides access to the new Northstar Community Rail Station
A First for Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT)
A modified freeway plan, which includes a prioritized project list, marks the first time MnDOT has used an affordable, small-project approach. MnDOT’s north metro engineer, Paul Jung, said, “The small projects plan transforms a full-scale, $300 million freeway proposal into a series of small, sequential projects to be done in affordable bites.”
More Information and Helpful Links:
To get more information about the construction, costs, and how it will be paid for
- Star Tribune - www.startribune.com/local/north/263507541.html
- Anoka County Highway Department - www.highway10andarmstrong.com/Background/Default.aspx
- Premier Commercial Properties – Search Properties for Sale in Anoka, Ramsey, Elk River - www.premiercommercialproperties.com/properties
Originally Posted: August 2014
Updated: March 2016